Sunday 25 April 2010

Gluten Free Mandarin Cake

I am trying to make a few Gluten Free recipes and came across this cake over at the $120 Food Challenge blog and thought I would give it a go to cook for dessert tonight, Sandra said she originally heard it on ABC with Bill Granger, I just happened to pick some Mandarins up in Katherine the other day so as fruit doesn't last long in this house and sometimes it's a while before we get some more I thought I would try it. To tell you the truth I have about 5 pkts Almond Meal in my cupboard as these cake recipes keep calling me, so fingers crossed here I go!




Gluten Free Mandarin Cake

INGREDIENTS
3 mandarins; 250g (1 cup) caster sugar; 6 eggs; 230g (2 cups) ground almonds; 60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar, extra; zest of 2 oranges
METHOD
Put the mandarins in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours, adding water when necessary to keep the mandarins covered at all times.Preheat the oven to 160C.
Drain the mandarins and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, split them open with your hands and remove any seeds. Puree the mandarins, including the skins, in a food processor. Add the sugar and eggs and mix together until combined. Add the ground almonds to the mandarin purée and stir thoroughly.Pour the mixture into a well-greased 24cm (9 inch) springform cake tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until the cake looks set in the middle, springs back when touched and comes away from the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
While the cake is cooling, put the extra sugar in a saucepan with 60 ml (1/4 cup) of water over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the orange zest and boil the mixture until it just starts to caramelise. Lift the zest out with a fork and cool it on a plate.
Serve the cake with caramelised citrus zest and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
I made this last Sunday and have been meaning to post it - it was beautiful!
I left the orange zest in the sugar syrup and then just put a sp0onful on top of each cake when I served it. This cake is VERY rich so you would only need a small slice each, and I would reccomend it for a dinner party.

1 comment:

sunbear said...

I'm definitely trying this 1! thanks:)