Friday 23 November 2007

Fruit and Nut Muffins

I have to laugh. Ever since I posted
the Fruit and Nut Muffins Layer box
everyone is looking for the recipe.
The reason I laugh is I have never
made them. But they are out of
the Australian Womans Weekly
Scones, Muffins and teatime treats
cookbook, and anything I make out
of the Woman's Weekly cookbooks
always seems to be a winner! The only reason I used this recipe is
because the friend I was making it for had to have a fruit theme. I had
the muffin tin in mind and the layer box, so this is what I came up with!
Any recipe that has an array of dry ingredients can be used for this box,
eg, cookie,biscuit recipes (Anzacs are good, I add nuts to my Anzacs)
Cakes are also good, you could do a fruit cake, chocolate cake, you are
only limited by your imagination. If you do a cake mixture, put it with a
cake tin, or if you do it with a cookie mixture, add a baking tray and cookie
cutters. You often see this layer mix done with jars. Remember when you
add it to a layer pack you don't have to put the dry ingredients down as they
already have them.
Here is the recipe:

2 cups Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon of ground mixed spice
1 cup chopped dried fruit medley (I put pkt mix fruit in mine)
1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts
125g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk

Sift flour and spice into large bowl. Add the fruit medley and mixed nuts, stir
until combined. Make well in the centre of the mixture.
Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar is
dissolved, remove from heat. Combine eggs and milk in a small bowl.
Add the butter and egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a metal
spoon or fork, stir until all the ingredients are just combined. Do not over beat, the batter should look lumpy. Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Bake 20 mins
or until golden. Loosen muffins with a flat-bladed knife, then turn onto wire rack to cool. Great served with butter!

Now I'm going to have
to make them! LOL

No comments: