Friday 19 March 2010

A Bit of Cooking

I had a cooking weekend a couple of weeks ago and made a couple of cakes.
The first one was my good old reliable sponge recipe and the second was
a 3 ingredients recipe that my sister sent me, with condensed milk and coconut
icing.

I have had this recipe for many years and it is so easy, just tart it up with a
bit of cream, jam and fruit and it looks and tastes a million dollars.

Sponge Cake
4 large eggs
3/4 cup castor sugar
pinch salt
45g plain flour (41/2 tablespoons)
125g corn flour (1 cup)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Oven temps 190 degrees C (or 310 degrees F). Prepare
2 deep 20cm sponge cake tins by greasing with melted
butter. Place eegs, sugar, salt in a large bowl and beat
well for 10 mins. Loghtly fold in sifted dry ingredients.
Melt vuttter in a small saucepan, add milk and warm
liquid into the egg mixture. Pour mixture eaually into
prepared tins. Bake in a moderate oven for approx
20mins, allow to cool for a few minutes in tins before
tipping out.
- eggs used should be at room temp
- don't open oven door while cooking



3 Ingredients Pineapple Cake
2 cups SR Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 tin pineapple

Cook in a round tin or ring tin at 180 degrees celsius for about 35 mins.

I will have to get the icing recipe off my sister.

Personally I wasn't a fan of this cake but maybe I didn't dook it long enough.
It was sort of doughy and heavy. It ended up being good served with a
spoonful of ice-cream for dessert.

Maybe I was doing something wrong as my sister liked it. I will have to
give it a try again.

Happy Cooking Everyone,
Kristy

No comments: